Bachelor of Science and Engineering
Georgia Tech, 2002
Master of Science and Engineering
Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering
University of Michigan
About this team member
Joseph is a professor at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). He graduated from Georgia Tech with a BSE in Aerospace Engineering in 2002 before pursuing an MSE and Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from the University of Michigan. His Ph.D. work focused on mechanical and genetic influences on bone structure and function.
During his first year in the group, Joseph’s research focused on quantitatively assessing the internalization and trafficking of polycationic polymer-DNA polyplexes in cells. In September of 2008, he began working under an independent NIH/NRSA F32 Award. This grant is focused on understanding changes that occur in the collagen ultrastructure of bone (as well as dentin and tendon) in mice with the disease Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI). Using Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM), high resolution imaging of Type I collagen is yielding a wealth of knowledge on how morphological aspects of the tissue ultrastructure contribute to the gross phenotype of mice with OI. Future studies are aimed at developing methods to mechanically probe collagen fibrils as well as extending these methods to larger animal models.
- Nanoscale Structure of type I collagen fibrils: Quantitative measurement of D-spacing Biotechnology Journal 2013 8 117-126
- Nanoscale morphology of Type I collagen is altered in the Brtl mouse model of Osteogenesis Imperfecta Journal of Structural Biology 2011 173 146-152
- Distribution of type I collagen morphologies in bone: Relation to estrogen depletion Bone 2010 46 1349-1354.
- Type 1 Collagen Exists as a Distribution of Nanoscale Morphologies in Teeth, Bones, and Tendons Langmuir 2010 26 7349-7354.
- Stoichiometry and Structure of Poly(amidoamine) Dendrimer-Lipid Complexes ACS Nano 2009 3 1886-1896.
- RGD Dendron Bodies: Synthetic Avidity Agents with Defined and Potentially Interchangeable Effector Sites That Can Substitute for Antibodies Bioconjugate Chemistry 2009 20 1853-1859.